Wednesday, July 06, 2005

what's in a name

Yesterday I mistakenly stated that if Dennys Reyes hit Craig Biggio that he would have been hit by 3 out of the 4 pitchers named Reyes to plunk Biggio. It turns out there are only 3 players who ever pitched named Reyes, and Dennys would have made it a perfect 3 for 3.
Biggio has never been hit by 3 different players with the same last name, but he has been hit by both pitchers who ever pitched with the last name Benes, Kim, Leiter and Valdes. He has been hit by 2 out of 6 name Wells and Reed, 2 out of 9 pitchers named Perez, 2 out of 12 Jacksons and 2 out of 22 Andersons.
The 2 most common last names of all time for pitchers are Smith (63), and Johnson (46) but Biggio has never been hit by a pitcher with either name. Smith has also been the most common last name among pitchers in Biggio's playing career with 18. There have been 12 pitchers named Williams, Davis, and Jones playing during Biggio's career but he has been hit by only 1 of each.


(All above stats exclude 2005 rookies, purely for my convenience)

2 Comments:

At 7/07/2005 01:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Really enjoy this site... it is a nice diversion to check this site out rather than check the standings... (although we are dangerously close to contending for the wild card).

A few questions about Craig's HBP statistics?


How many times has Craig been plunked in extra innings?

What is the largest amount of plate appearances between Craig's plunkings?

How many times has Craig come back and homered in his next at bat after a plunking? (any against the same pitcher who plunked him?)

How many times has the batter before Craig been plunked also?

And how many times has the batter after Craig been plunked also?

Thank you for all your input.

Craig's biggest fan in Phoenix!

 
At 7/07/2005 08:54:00 AM, Blogger pbr said...

That's a lot of questions. There is still a lot of information I haven't been able to aquire - I only have what I can dig up on the internet and my primary source Retrosheet doesn't have inning by inning game logs between 1993 and 1999. I have a quote from one of the sports stats companies who have this info, but it's a whole lot more money than I have to spend on this. (Maybe I should take up a collection?)
So for example, I can tell you that he's definately been hit 3 times in extra innings, but there is a 4th game where I just know he was hit by a pitcher who pitched in the 9th and 10th inning. I know Biggio has homered and gotten plunked 17 times, but in many of those games I don't know when the plunk happened (why do they list what inning homers were in in box scores but not any of the other things they list?). But, last Wednesday he followed plunk #268 with a homer in his next plate appearance (different pitcher). The batter following him got plunked too, but again I don't have a complete picture of how many times that has happened. I can think of one other.
All be sure to cover all these questions if I ever get my hands on the complete inning by inning data though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home