Wednesday, May 31, 2006

2006 plunks by position

At about 1/3 of the way through this season, David Eckstein of the Cardinals has been hit 9 times. He's 2nd in the league overall, and 1st among shortstops. He has all 9 of the Cardinals HBPs at the shortstop positions and Cardinals shortstops have been hit more times than the shortstops for any other team. But, shortstops have been plunked fewer times league wide than any other fielding position (not pitchers).
2006 plunks by position:
LF
90
C
84
2B83
CF
78
1B75
3B69
RF
63
SS
49
DH29
PH10
P1

Last season it was right fielders who led the league in plunks with 238, while 2003 and 2004 were both led by the Catchers. Catchers were plunked 247 times in '04 and 241 times in '03. In 2001 and 2002, 2nd Basemen led the league in plunks with 270 and 238, led by Craig Biggio and Fernando Vina.

Houston has led the league in plunks at whichever position Craig Biggio has played for 4 of the last 5 seasons. In 2002, Biggio's 17 plunks at 2nd base for Houston was behind only the St. Louis combination of Fernando Vina (18) and Miguel Cairo (1). In 2006, the Astros 2nd basemen are tied for a distant 3rd with 5 plunks between Biggio, Burke and Bruntlett. Milwaukee's Rickie Weeks leads the league with 10 plunks, all while playing 2nd base. (Only 3 of Biggio's 4 plunks, and 1 of Burke's 3 HBPs came while they were playing 2nd.)

Despite the efforts of Jason Kendall in Oakland and Kenji Johjima in Seattle, Houston leads the league this year in plunks by Catchers with Brad Ausmus and Eric Munson combining for 8 so far. Houston is also tied for the lead in pinch hit plunks with 2 (Biggio and Burke). Only the Yankees and Nationals have as many pinch-get-hits.

2 Comments:

At 6/01/2006 03:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last time I commenced to providing my 2¢ on the matter, then got myself all circumlocuted. Herewith I will recrudesce on the matter. Specifically, on the tainted practice of affixing corporate names to baseball stadiums what been paid for with public tax monies;

They got the media lemmings over the proverbial barrel because if the lemmings don’t play along and recite the new corporate name, then the lemmings don’t get access. If they play along and do as they are told, then the evil corporate rapscallions allow access.

Well, I ain’t a lemming. I decided long ago to make my own mind up with these new names. My decision was to reject each and every one of them. I will be sticking with the old, not-for-profit name from before the miscreants hatched up the plan in the 90s. So, for example, that there park in Pittsburgh is “New Three Rivers Stadium” in my books. That new park in Seattle ain’t a dome, so I can’t call it the “New King Dome,” therefore it becomes “King Stadium.” The new stadium in Houston retains the name the fans done give it back when it was still being constructed, the Ballpark at Union Station.

I am, however, for sale. Just like everything else in this capitalistic paradise, I am willing to alter my ways for a price. I will use the new names for each stadium assuming Major League Baseball agrees to cut me a check each month. My fee is 18¢ per use. I will keep the tally myself and report to the appropriate functionary in the commissioner’s office on the date specified each month. Since I tend to be impeccably honest in my record keeping, I don’t see why there would be any question of my integrity when it comes to tallying up the utterances.

If Bud will agree to my demands, then I will play along, if not then I continue to promote this grass roots revolt. Don’t be a lemming! You ain’t got to use their for-profit name unless you are getting some of the profit!

And, by the way, Biggio will be plunked again on this home stand… probably in the bottom of the 5th on a Tuesday.

 
At 6/01/2006 09:42:00 AM, Blogger pbr said...

Is minute maid park a product of corporate naming or is it a product name like the 2-second tent?

cause I thought maybe...

okay never mind.

What about naming the stadiums after the same greedy evil corporation that owns the team, like Yankee Stadium?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home