Tuesday, August 15, 2006

another rookie vs Clemens

17 pitches flew toward Craig Biggio last night, but none of them hit him. Carlos Zambrano continued his quest for the non-existent Cy Young award for pitchers on losing teams, pitching 8 shutout innings and recording his 13th win of the season as the Cubs won 3-0.
Tonight the Astros face another of the seemingly endless supply of rookies teams are finding to match up against Clemens. Juan Mateo has faced 34 batters in 2 career games in the majors so far, but hasn't hit any of them. He hit 14 batters in the minor leagues at a rate of about 1 per 24 innings pitched.

Craig Biggio has never been hit by a pitch on August 15th.

2 Comments:

At 8/15/2006 11:59:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zambrano a Cy Young candidate - really? You had me intrigued and I actually had to go look up his numbers. Much better than I thought - those walks are just gaudy however. He does have to be a candidate I suppose - thanks for enlightening me, oh grand PooBaR.

Somehow that got me to wondering whatever happened to Steve Tractor Trachsel. Low and behold he is still in the majors!

I really need to start reading some NL papers.

 
At 8/15/2006 12:29:00 PM, Blogger pbr said...

I don't really think he'll get serious consideration because they almost always ignore guys who play well on losing teams, but I just wanted to point out that it's pretty impressive to win 13 games on a team that's only won 50. Plus he has killed the Astros this year, and I wanted to point out that he's been pretty good against other teams too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home