Thursday, June 16, 2005

Baltimore wrapup

Orlando Palmeiro got plunked in the 6th, and Jason Lane took a home run payback pitch in the 7th last night, but Craig Biggio did not get hit by a pitch, going 1-4 in the loss. Over the 3 game series, Baltimore hit 5 Astros batters while the Astros only plunked one Oriole. The Astros are off today, traveling to their weekend series in Kansas City.

On June 16, 1999 Rudy Seanez of the Braves hit Craig Biggio with a pitch.

Biggio's record chase media tour continued on Washingtonpost.com yesterday with a well done article by Les Carpenter. And, just to counter Carpenter's statement that nobody pays attention to Biggio's approach to 3000 hits, I'll point out that in my book Biggio is just 36 away from 3000 at 2964 (hits + times hit).

4 Comments:

At 6/16/2005 04:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How come MLB keeps referring to Don Baylor as the league leader in HBPs, and you list Hughie Jennings?

 
At 6/16/2005 05:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever communicated w/ Mr. Biggio about this blog? If so, what did he say?

Forgive me if you've addressed this elsewhere already.

 
At 6/16/2005 07:25:00 PM, Blogger pbr said...

Chad, it's not entirely clear to me which is the "official" record, and why MLB refers to Baylor as the record holder even though their own site lists Hughie Jennings at the top of their stats list for all time leaders in HBPs. I don't know if they disqualify Jennings numbers because he played on a defunct National League team for much of his career, or because it was before the American League existed or what. The way I look at it, Jennings is known to have been hit playing major league baseball 287 times, and is listed on MLB.com's stats sight (see the link on the sidebar of this page), and Biggio has a chance to break that mark next season, so I think he should be the target. Let's cheer for Biggio to settle the record once and for all.

 
At 6/16/2005 09:45:00 PM, Blogger pbr said...

Ripples, no I have not communicated with Mr. Biggio about this blog. I can only hope that he has a sense of humor about it and doesn't show up at my house some day whipping baseballs at me saying "How do you like it!?!"
I may not have said this enough, but I'm not rooting for him to get hurt, I just think the record is cool and I want to see him break it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home