Monday, July 03, 2006

Back home to the NL

okay, pass Babe Ruth on the all time hits list - check.
Win the "Silver Boot" by taking the season series from the Rangers - check.
Pick up plunk number 278 - check.
Scott Feldman hit Biggio with a pitch after the 9-5 final score had already been decided. It was only Feldman's 3rd career hit batter, and Biggio's first ever on July 2nd.
So, it looks like the Astros and Craig Biggio have finished with there interleague to-do list and can return home to Houston for some games against the National League. That National League opponent will be the Chicago Cubs, although the Cubs are currently looking a little more like the a Pacific Coast League team at 30-51 and their starter for tonight's game, Carlos Marmol, came directly from the AA southern league at the beginning of June. Marmol has faced 91 batters in the majors, and hit none of them.
Craig Biggio has never been plunked on July 3rd.

The Astros will face the Cubs again tomorrow, Independence Day, and Mark Prior will be starting that one. Prior has hit 24 batters in 100 career games, but never plunked Biggio. Craig Biggio was hit twice by Brian Anderson on July 4, 1998, and once by Bob Ojeda on July 4, 1989 (career plunk #3).

In site related news, people offended by shameless commerce and the world's steady march toward a t-shirt based economy should not clink this link. Ever. But, if you are the sort of person who can't fully enjoy something without some sort of logo-ed apparel related to it, you will now be able to fully enjoy this site and the plunk chase.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 7/03/2006 09:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you say that Craig Biggio has never been hit by a pitch on June 3rd, I assume you mean July 3rd.

Oh, and I have some more good questions for you to tackle (these are easy ones). I wonder about Biggio's ratio of hits to plunks, on an annual basis. In which seasons did he have the best ratio? The worst? How about the RBIs-to-plunks ratio? As a general question, have Biggio's productive offensive seasons correlated or anti-correlated with his plunk activity? This really gets to the heart of the question: should we be rooting for more plunks? Or by doing so are we just rooting for Craig to have a miserable year?

 
At 7/03/2006 11:17:00 AM, Blogger pbr said...

I fixed the whole "not knowing what month it is" part of the post above, thanks.

I'll do some more in depth analysis on the plunks per hit and rbis per plunk ratios later in the week after some vacationing, but off the top of my head I can point out that the year he was hit the most, 34 times in 1997, was his second best year in terms of total hits, batting average and slugging percentage, and the year after that, he got hit 23 times and had his career best in just about every category (excluding OBP). I think I've shown before that he has better offensive numbers in games where he gets hit, but I'm not sure if the season numbers will prove or disprove whether offensive production (when he actually hits the ball) goes up or down relative to how often he's getting hit. So, I'll get back to you on that.

 
At 7/03/2006 12:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this site for all its witty analytics.

I'm curious on how many ex-astros have plunked him.

 
At 7/04/2006 11:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truth be node, I was thinking of getting a set of them T Shirts for the Huckabee clan. Junior and the twins are all set, but me and Mama need to investigate the possibility of obtaining shirts that have a few more Xs before the L at the end of the string of letters. See, them twins are still young enough to be wigglin’ and squirmin’ all the time and they ain’t yet started to put on any girth. Likewise, Junior may be dumb as a sack of hammers (don’t tell his Mama I done said that) but he is pretty fit. Me and Mama, on the other hand, have tended to expand over the past few seasons and now require garments of a stouter nature than your run-of-the-mill threads.

So I got me a plan. I’m fixin’ ta order me the biggest shirt they got, then I’ll take it out to the shed and get me a pair of scissors and cut the back out of it. Then I’ll get me a big sheet of canvass and have Mama sew a matching piece in the back to allow the ultimate circumference of the garment to expand as needed. I’ll let you know how it turns out

 
At 7/05/2006 06:48:00 AM, Blogger pbr said...

the ex Astros question is answered back here, starting with those he caught for who hit him, and moving on to his teammates once he got out from behind the plate. I don't believe there have been any to add to those lists since that post but I'll double check one of these days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home