Thursday, May 19, 2005

More on 261

Craig Biggio got hit by a pitch last night for the 261st time in his career. Number 261 was his 40th plunk on a Wednesday, 58th in the month of May, and just the 8th batting 3rd in the line up. Russ Ortiz becomes the 199th pitcher to have plunked Biggio.

A commenter yesterday pointed out that MLB.com's Craig Biggio page has a link to a "hit chart" which was disappointing in its total lack of information on where Craig Biggio has been hit by pitches. If I can get hold of game video from all 261 plunks, I'd be happy to compile this chart, so if anybody knows how I can get tape from 242 Astros games, let me know (plunkbiggioATgmailDotcom). Reader Eric N. pointed me to this site, which has quicktime video of Biggio getting plunked on September 5, 1995, so that only leaves 241.

I'd also like to thank Jacob Luft of SI.com for the unsolicited plug in his column yesterday.

UPDATE:
And, another thank you to Richard Connelly from the Houston Press who emailed me about Plunk Biggio within a couple of days of my first post, before I even knew that anybody was reading this. In retrospect, I should have come up with better answers for him.
He writes "Baseball, computers and too much spare time -- a deadly combination."
Well... yeah.
But everybody needs a hobby. And, once you have a database of every game Craig Biggio has ever been hit by a pitch, pulling this site together doesn't take much time. Besides, what else are you going to do with a Craig Biggio hit-by-pitch database if you don't turn it into a blog?

3 Comments:

At 5/19/2005 11:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder what Biggio thinks about hitting back. Hell, that's what my daddy always taught me. "If he hits you, hit 'im back, harder!" P.S. COngrats on going national!

 
At 5/20/2005 12:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI, your SI link is fubared.

 
At 5/21/2005 12:42:00 AM, Blogger pbr said...

SI link fixed

 

Post a Comment

<< Home